Related Links

Nor'easters still unbeaten after comeback win over West Chester United

Theo Quartey's dramatic chip-shot game-winner gives Ocean City its fourth straight home opening victory

Nor'easters still unbeaten after comeback win over West Chester United

Photo: Jack Verdeur (IG: @jack_verdeur)

The Ocean City Nor'easters remain undefeated after an impressive 2-1 comeback win against West Chester United. Theo Quartey's (Villanova / Accra, Ghana) 65th minute chip of the goalkeeper would prove to be the game-winner as the Nor'easters improve to 3-0-0 on the season.

The win gives the Storm a fourth straight home opener victory at Carey Stadium ("The Beach House") in Ocean City, N.J., America's Greatest Family Resort. The win also extends the club's unbeaten streak to 10 games (dating back to the 2019 season), while handing first place West Chester their first loss of the campaign.

Photo: Jack Verdeur (IG: @jack_verdeur)

West Chester (3-1-1) maintains a one point lead over the second place Nor'easters (3-0-0) in the Mid-Atlantic Division standings, but Ocean City has played two fewer games.

The game started out fast for West Chester, when Ronald Williams delivered a long ball from West Chester defensive third. The ball took a bounce and former Nor'easters player Leon Maric ran onto it, beat his defender and found himself one-on-one with Jahmali Waite (UConn / Philadelphia, PA). Maric, who played for Ocean City during the 2019 season, slotted the ball just inside the far post to give the Predators a lead in the first minute of the game. It was the first goal allowed by the Nor'easters this season.

The remainder of the first half saw the Nor'easters take control, searching for the equalizer in front of a crowd of more than 500 fans in the stands at Carey Stadium. Despite creating multiple chances, the visitors went into the halftime break with the lead.

The second half began with a goalkeeper change for the Nor'easters as they brought on Yannik Oettl (UCF / Munich, Germany) to replace Waite, who played well despite giving up the early goal.

In the 63rd minute, the Nor'easters finally found that equalizer. After a ball was deflected high into the air, it came down in the middle of the West Chester penalty area where Austin DaSilva (Univ. at Albany / Brookfield, CT) got a head to it and flicked it over to defender Ulrik Edvardsen (VCU / Bergan, Norway) who put it in the back of the net to give him his first Ocean City goal and to tie the game at 1-1.

Ulrik Edvardsen's goal

About two minutes later, the Storm took the lead when Marcel Meinzer (Kentucky / Herxheim, Germany) sent a long ball from the midfield circle up to the left wing for Theo Quartey. The Villanova Wildcat ran onto it, and after the ball took a bounce, he noticed that the goalkeeper was coming off his line to get the ball. Quartey got there first and chipped the ball over the head of the helpless goalkeeper and into the back of the net.

Theo Quartey's game-winning goal

For Quartey, who entered the match as the Nor'easters' leading assist man (3), it was his first goal of the season.

The Ocean City defense would hold strong for the remainder of the match and preserve the 2-1 win.

The Nor'easters have now scored 12 goals to start the season, the most goals in club history after three regular season games.

Next up for Ocean City, the players will receive a bit of a break before returning to the Beach House on June 2, when they will host long-time rival Reading United AC. Tickets are on sale now to watch the longest-running active rivalry in the entire United Soccer Leagues. The next game will mark the 51st all-time meeting between the two clubs in a rivalry that dates back to 1997.

Drone video and highlights by Manny Mertis

FULL MATCH VIDEO: Ocean City Nor'easters vs. West Chester United

OCN shop

OCN shop